Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

A Philly Girl



Woke up today with Philly on my mind. Can't describe the feeling it happens all the time. No, I'm not gonna bore you with a poem .... that just happened to rhyme! lol But no, I had this over whelming feeling to show love for my city! Haters and all. And my goodness there are a lot of haters, slackers, talkers, scorned and bitter artists and whole bunch of other stuff that you can easily watch on the news. But I chose to focus on the positive, the good, the Music of Philly. Music is a universal language that speaks to many in ways that no Hallmark card could ever do. And when it speaks I listen. I've been exposed to the making of music growing up. My brothers had bands and they often practiced in the basement and it was always a good feeling running through me when they would start vibing. I could hear when a band member did something that wasn't part of the song but he felt something in the air and did it and they would go DAAAMMMM!! I could hear the papers rustling as they would re-write the music to include the new found sound.

But it's that DAAAMMM that I love about music. That music that makes you feel. The music that makes you remember. The music that makes you want to go make more music. Here in Philly there is a lot of that type of music. I have learned to find that kind of music and stop listening to music that's not giving off the DAM vibe. I may not be able to make it, yet, but I can find it! It's usually the ones who are just chillin and not really pressed about getting signed or being famous that have good music. Don't get me wrong, some of my Phillyans make a lot of noise because their music is so DAM good the want the world to hear it NOW. But it's all the same. Good music is Good music.

There is something happening in Philly and I am excited to watche it unfold. Beef's are squashed (those that matter)  people are throwing events left and right in honor of Philly artists. Female artists are more respected and creative as a part of this movement. And the love grows. The love for music. The love for progress. The need to move forward and no longer sit around and complain about what "aint" and do something about what "is". I know there are people who will say different and that's ok. Some people are here to analyze mud and name the worms. The rest of us will continue to appreciate and nurture the flowers that grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SponsoredTweets referral badge

Press kits
Quantcast

My Likes

HIP%20HOP%20SISTERSQuantcast